Monday, June 14, 2010

Day of Exercise



Good evening!

Tonight, I'm certain I'm going to have nightmares of spiral staircases.
Since our tour agent put Dachau on the itinerary for Monday, we had to make an event change since museums and such are closed on Mondays. So instead, we got to go to the Newschwanstein (pardon my spelling) Castle. (But we are getting chance to go on Friday instead...)
On the way there, we stopped at a church that has over one-thousand five hundred steps up to the top tower. You think that's bad? Oh, no... Trust me, it gets worse. It's a spiral staircase, and it is the narrowest corridor I've ever been in. It was very tricky when other people got sick of the mile-high climb, and they would try and come down while we were going up. Even worse, after our accomplishment we had to find our way down. I was getting very dizzy and evey so often my depth perception would change and it felt like I was about to fall down the stairs. It was a rather scary experience. When all of us got back on solid, flat ground, our legs were shaking like mad. Those who made it to the top plan on making shirts saying something like "I survived the spiral staircase and lived to make this shirt".
On the plus side, I think everyone is over their jet lag. Since the bus rides today were a couple miles long, we got some nice nap time in and conquered the time difference.

The castle was very beautiful. No pictures are allowed inside, unless it's out the window (we could see Austria up there!) and it was a fairly short tour since only one-third of the rooms in there were completed. I was about ready to scream when I saw more spiral staircases to climb, but fortunatley, they were much wider and had a hand railing. There nature hike afterwards was very nice as well! However, we got our other workout session in since it was all uphill. But it was very scenic, and involved a waterfall.
The picture on the left is of me and my friend from North, Julie, and her "Flat Stanley Cup" that the Tribune is offering a contest for. The picture on the right is the staircase that never ends and causes cases of claustrophobia.
Since I#m not really a blogger, I donät know how to make this all pretty and push the pictures down... For another time I guess? Have a great afternoon/night!

~Callie